The C4 Apprenticeship Programme
Our Apprenticeship programme is designed to provide work experience and a related qualification to people leaving formal education and who have decided to pursue an Apprenticeship rather than attend University.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the Apprenticeship. Our Apprentices have external tutors who deliver workshops and seminars to them and offer support throughout the apprenticeship. It is essential for Apprentices to be able to balance their work and learning time and commit to delivering what is required for the formal learning elements in order to successfully achieve the qualifications on completion.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential bootcamps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. Due to COVID there could be some changes in the way that training is delivered, for example it may be virtually rather than in person. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Am I eligible to apply?
You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
You cannot already have a similar qualification at the same or higher level than what is being offered on this apprenticeship.
Channel 4 is a Public Service Broadcaster (PSB), we exist to be an alternative to the other broadcasters (BBC1 &2). Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 doesn’t get its funding via the TV License it is solely funded by advertising. Therefore Channel 4 has its own dedicated Sales Team; 4Sales.
4Sales sells all of the Channel 4 portfolio of stations; Channel4, More4, E4, Film4, and also sells on behalf of UKTV (Dave, Really, Gold, Eden, Home, Drama, Watch, and Alibi) and Box Plus Network. The role of the sales team is to provide the much needed revenues to ensure we can continue to produce such shows as Great British Bake Off through to the more niche programmes like Dispatches documentaries.
4Sales have offices in both London and Manchester, this role is for an apprenticeship within the Nations & Regions office in Manchester. The team within the Manchester office are all sales focused from the Trading team who deal with agencies and advertisers in the first instance of connecting with Channel 4 to the Airtime Sales team who deal with all the bookings from TV (linear) to All4 (digital). There is also a Partnerships team who sell sponsorship packages within the portfolio and also work with different agencies / advertisers on any partnerships with 4Sales. The apprenticeship is based within the Airtime Sales team predominately but there is an opportunity to work closely with the other teams.
This apprenticeship would suit someone who:
- Is looking to start a career in a commercial department
- Enjoys the idea of selling advertising space
- Interested in understanding the importance of revenue generation
- Interested in working in a Sales environment
- Working alongside our experienced Sales Exec’s you will be helping with the set up all types of advertising campaigns whether it be on TV or All4
- This will involve using many different systems, including the use of Powerpoint, Word and most importantly Excel
- Working on improving campaigns where necessary inline with the Media Agency, which will involve speaking with individual agency buyers (Media exec’s) and emailing them
- Working to internal guidelines on optimisation (right TV campaigns / digital campaigns, are put in the correct breaks / programmes), therefore allowing us to sell more airtime / impressions for the business
- Building strong relationships with our agencies, ensuring our reputation & servicing levels are to a high standard
- Ensuring all internal deadlines, such a closing airtime / copy (the actual advert) is filled & ready for our trafficking team to go live
- You do not need experience of Media Sales, full training will be provided as part of this opportunity
QUALIFICATION OFFERED WITH THIS APPRENTICESHIP
Level 4 Sales Executive with GI Group
LENGTH OF APPRENTICESHIP
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE
- You’ll need a passion for television and the media
- Strong organisational skills and ability to manage
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- An interest in working for Channel 4 and an understanding of its aims.
- Comfortable using Microsoft programmes as well as ability to pick up new technology
- Ability to take and carry out instructions accurately and also work independently
- Ability to deliver to strict deadlines in a professional and thorough manner
- Strong numeracy skills and confident dealing with large amount of numerical data
- Enjoys providing exceptional customer service to stakeholders
- Ability to use your own initiative to seek out learning opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills
- Understanding and passion for the Channel 4 brand and remit
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS:
If you are unable to complete a written application form, we want to make the process of applying for one of our opportunities right for you as an individual. If needed we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Talent for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information. If you would like to apply for an opportunity at 4Skills and we can help to make that process simpler for you, please email us at 4Skills@channel4.co.uk or call Lowri Roberts on 07751924670.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.