Apprentice Civil Engineer – Level 3
Qualifications needed: 5 GCSEs grades 9-4 / A*-C or equivalent including Maths, English and Science
Closing Date – applications are open until 26th April 2021; however, we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
About the role:
We designed our three-year Technical Apprenticeship Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
Depending on project requirements, you could be site or office based.
In addition to supporting you through your formal apprentice qualification, you will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year! The challenge is a mix of community engagement activities and a team building event in the Lake District. Find out more here ¦ There is also the opportunity to complete the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award as part of your apprenticeship.
This is a unique opportunity to work whilst you learn and develop key skills that will be valuable throughout your career – an opportunity not to be missed!
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be able to develop your career further within Balfour Beatty.
The following qualifications will be gained as part of the apprenticeship:
- Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- ÎLevel 3 BTEC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment – Civil Engineering
- Engineering Technician status and Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice Civil Engineer will include:
- Assist Graduate and Site Engineers in major engineering control activities
- Carry out basic engineering checks as directed
- Carry out surveys and site measurements
- Provide site operatives and supply chain colleagues with information from drawings, schedules and specifications
- Complete quality check sheets and enter into built files
- Produce as built drawings and records for activites
- Keep accurate records (diaries, photographs and records of site discussions)
- Work to weekly programme drafted by others
- Produce accurate daily records of resources employed including subcontractors
- Provide details of outputs achieved
Throughout, you will ensure compliance with our Health and Safety and Sustainability agenda and aspire to a Site, Construction or Project Management career.
Who we’re looking for:
- You will need a minimum of five GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 9-4 or A-C including Maths, English and Science
- You’ll need to have a team-focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with people at all levels
- Have a passion for Engineering and Infrastructure
- Strong numeracy skills as well as the dedication and enthusiasm to keep the momentum going on a project.
- You will have a strong work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for your academic and vocational development.
- Pass pre-employment medical which will include a Drug & Alcohol test
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Apprentice and what’s involved in the scheme click here and you can also view the profiles of some of our current apprentices across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed, and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Our apprentices typically start in September.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer, is a Disability Confident level 2 Employer and a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Closing Date – applications are open until 26th April 2021, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date. adverts should the roles be filled before this date.