Apprentice Civil Engineer – Level 3 Apprenticeship
Qualifications needed: 5 GCSEs grades 9-4 / A*-C or equivalent including Maths, English and Science
About the role:
We’ve designed our three-year Technical Apprenticeship Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on site experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
In addition to supporting you through your formal apprentice qualification, you will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year! The challenge is a mix of community engagement activities and a team building event in the Lake District. Find out more here €¦ There is also the opportunity to complete the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award as part of your apprenticeship.
This is a unique opportunity to work whilst you learn and develop key skills that will be valuable throughout your career – an opportunity not to be missed!
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be able to develop your career further within the Highways business unit, as well as across Balfour Beatty.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector. The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
The following qualifications will be gained as part of the apprenticeship:
- Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Î‡Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment – Civil Engineering
- Engineering Technician status and Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice Civil Engineer will include:
- Assist Graduate and Site Engineers in major engineering control activities
- Carry out engineering checks as directed
- Carry out surveys and site measurements
- Provide site operatives and supply chain colleagues with information from drawings, schedules and specifications
- Complete quality check sheets and enter into built files
- Produce as built drawings and records for activities
- Keep accurate records (diaries, photographs and records of site discussions)
- Work to weekly programme drafted by others
- Produce accurate daily records of resources employed including subcontractors
- Provide details of outputs achieved
- Review and help resolve design issues
- Review works packages with Traffic management team and subcontractors
- Work within the Technology and Communication team to oversee installations activities eg. CCTV, signage, cables etc.
Throughout the apprenticeship, you will ensure compliance with our Health and Safety and Sustainability agenda.
Who we’re looking for:
- You will need a minimum of five GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 9-4 or A-C including Maths, English and Science
- You’ll need to have a team-focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with people at all levels
- Have a passion for Engineering and Infrastructure
- Strong numeracy skills as well as the dedication and enthusiasm to keep the momentum going on a project.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change (shift work including some nights may be require)
- You will have a strong work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for your academic and vocational development.
- Ideally have a full UK driving licence
Please note this Apprentice role is expected to start in April 2022, please ensure when completing your online application form that you clearly state your availability and whether an April start date would work for your current circumstances.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Apprentice and what’s involved in the scheme click here and you can also view the profiles of some of our current apprentices across the Group. Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact: email@example.com
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business.
To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Closing Date – applications are open until 6th March 2022 but we would encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Balfour Beatty reserves the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before the closing date.