What will I do as part of the scheme?
Do you enjoy coding and software programming?
Are you fascinated about machine learning and artificial intelligence?
Do you love using mathematics to solve problems?
Do you want an amazing experience, a salary, and get to go to university as well?
This is an exciting opportunity to get into the world of work, earn money, and gain a BSc degree.
The degree is fully funded, including any required accommodation whilst at university or with our training providers.
You’ll get to work at the heart of Data Science at the BBC, all while studying for a BSc degree with a UK University and completing this industry designed apprenticeship.
Based in Glasgow or London with BBC Design and Engineering teams, you’ll get to work at the heart of Data Science at the BBC, all while studying for a degree apprenticeship.
You will complete both off-the-job and on-the-job training. You’ll study for a bachelor’s degree (Hons) with tailored modules such as:
- The use of Data Science and Engineering within the organisation to serve our audiences and story tellers.
- Data Systems Development, modelling and Integration.
- Programming and building/testing of business intelligence systems
- Statistical and mathematical models and methods.
- Structure and operation of high velocity data systems and develop understanding of operating systems, peripherals and networking hardware and software infrastructure.
- Research and Development of prototype Data Solutions for the business and our audiences.
Through a series of university taught modules and industrial experience we will prepare you as the new community of Data Scientists and Engineers to help build and support the future BBC organisation.
Are you the right candidate?
You will be someone who naturally wants to be a hands-on Data Scientist and will feel comfortable developing over the course of the scheme to work with mathematics, computer software and associated systems. We’re not looking for you to come as a ready-made engineer/data scientist – just want you to have an ambition and determination to succeed.
Throughout the application process we’ll be asking for evidence that shows your passion and ability for technology and mathematics. You need to be a good communicator and have the ability to develop to be effective in the working environment with technical or non-technical people.
Throughout the application process, we will be assessing the following:
- Mathematical Problem solving
- Awareness or understanding of Software Programming
- Practical application
- Time Management
As this is a degree scheme we need strong academic performance.
Candidates with Scottish qualifications are required to have a minimum of BBBB including Mathematics and English, all of which must have been achieved in the first sitting. (Desirable AAAA including Mathematics)
Candidates with qualifications from outside Scotland must have a minimum AAB which must include Mathematics, English and a science A-Level.
A minimum GCSE or Standard Grades qualifications in maths and English at A-C or equivalent.
You will have interest and confidence to develop your working knowledge and skills in software programming, algebra, statistics, logarithms and recurrence equations. These are some of the mathematical techniques required for Data Science.
To be eligible for this scheme, you will need to have the right to work in the UK.
The Benefits and Package
- You will be employed onto a permanent contact of employment
- You will get up to 5 weeks of annual leave per year as well as an additional days leave over the festive period, known as our “Corporation Day”.
- You will receive a salary of £14,250 increasing £1,500 per year as you progress on the apprenticeship (Staff in London receive an additional London Allowance of £4,682)
- A Bachelors Degree (hons) awarded by Glasgow university for those on the Scotland apprenticeship.
- A recognised BSc qualification awarded by York St John University for those on the England apprenticeship.
- Scheduled time will be allocated to allow you to study during the course of the scheme.
- A competitive salary on completion of the apprenticeship as you get promoted into a substantive role
- The ability to work hard and apply your theoretical learning in the work place and delivering ideas, solutions and value into the organisation from the moment you start.
- BBC Staff Perks including discounts on many high street and online services/products.
- A dedicated Scheme Manager who will develop you throughout your training programme.
- Professional Coaching and Mentoring to aid your personal development by industry professionals.
- The chance to wear the famous BBC Staff lanyard and ID card by working for the world’s leading public service broadcaster
We are a diversity champion and we promote a good working environment for all existing and potential staff ensuring equal treatment for all of our employees. We have formed a partnership with VERCIDA, the UK’s largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA. Click here to view our vacancies in an accessible format. If you have a disability you will also have the option to go through our Extend Hub when you apply.