Health & Safety Highways Apprentice – Based in Hull – A63
Qualifications needed – 5 GCSE grade C/4 or above, including Maths and English or equivalent
Closing date – applications are open until 27th April 2021, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
About the role:
We have a new exciting opportunity to work as a Health & Safety Apprentice on our Highways RDP project. Initially based in Hull on A63 project. The role will develop your skills in planning, reporting and inspections whilst supporting the Health and Safety Manager. This role with give you the opportunity to work for a market leading company, whilst gaining valuable skills and experience to ensure you develop to your full potential throughout the apprenticeship.
We designed our two year Technical Apprenticeship Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience. As part of the Apprenticeship scheme you will follow a training programme as part of our Industry recognised Apprenticeship programme, geared towards you achieving Safety, Health and Environment Technician Apprenticeship (L3). The apprenticeship will typically last for 2 years.
With our support, we will develop your skills and help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility in the dimensional control of projects, supervision of specialist contractors and the construction workforce and will take the lead for solving technical problems.
In addition to supporting you through your formal apprentice qualification, you will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year! The challenge is a mix of community engagement activities and a team building event in the Lake District. Find out more here ¦ There is also the opportunity to complete the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award as part of your apprenticeship.
This is a unique opportunity to work whilst you learn and develop key skills that will be valuable throughout your career – an opportunity not to be missed!
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be able to develop your career further within Balfour Beatty.
Your responsibilities as an Apprentice will include:
- Assist the HSS Manager in providing the material for induction and training, ensuring material is equitable, inclusive and accessible to all, to embed an industry / sector leading HSE culture from day one
- Attend key Project safety meetings with contractors and assisting in the production of minutes
- Assist in reporting incidents in Horace
- Interrogate project wide HSS performance and assist in producing Project statistics for the monthly report
- Assist in carrying out field / on-site inspections and subsequent reports, ensuring where required, follow-up of corrective actions
- Assist in developing innovative and effective digital solutions for HSS on site.
- Depending on starting date, opportunity to assist in the safety by design tasks, to embed the right HSS culture from Day one
- Use a variety of Microsoft Packages (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) to compose and update documents
Who we’re looking for:
- You will have a minimum of 5 GCSE’s 9-4 including Maths & English or equivalent, coupled with an interest in Health and Safety.
- You will have a knowledge of MS packages including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- You will have a keen interest in construction and infrastructure and a good attention to detail.
- You will have a have a friendly, flexible approach to your working day and a willingness to work with and support colleagues
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and eagerness to learn and develop personally and professionally
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Apprentice and what’s involved in the scheme click here and you can also view the profiles of some of our current apprentices across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact email@example.com
Closing Date – applications are open until 26th April 2021, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer, is a Disability Confident level 2 Employer and a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.