Quality Apprentice 2021 – North – Hull – A57 Link Road
Qualifications needed: 3 STEM A levels or equivalent in STEM subject or Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering
Closing Date – applications are open until 26th April 2021; however, we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
About the role:
We designed our five-year Technical Apprenticeship Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience.
Your time on the programme will see you gaining all kinds of specialist skills and eye-catching achievements. You will be joining a leading international infrastructure group shaping innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables growth. You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business including design, operations, safety and commercial; you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation.
You will follow a three-year training Degree Apprentice L6 programme as part of our IQA-accredited programme, geared towards you achieving Incorporated Engineer status. Depending on project requirements, you could be site or office based.
With our support we will develop your skills and help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility in the dimensional control of projects, supervision of specialist contractors and the construction workforce and will take the lead for solving technical problems.
In addition to supporting you through your formal apprentice qualification, you will follow the Balfour Beatty Enhanced Apprentice programme. This is a mix of development events and activities, plus in year 2 you will compete in the Balfour Beatty Brathay Apprentice Challenge, to help us find the Balfour Beatty Apprentice Team of the Year! The challenge is a mix of community engagement activities and a team building event in the Lake District. Find out more here ¦ There is also the opportunity to complete the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award as part of your apprenticeship.
This is a unique opportunity to work whilst you learn and develop key skills that will be valuable throughout your career – an opportunity not to be missed!
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will be able to develop your career further within Balfour Beatty.
You’ll primarily work within the A57 Link Road Project which will include all aspects of quality in product development and operations within the functions of quality control & assurance. You will build your skill set and portfolio with our coaching and guidance to become a Quality Professional. You will also develop your knowledge and application of Quality Management Systems, Information Systems, Business Processes and LEAN principles as well as have the opportunity to work hands-on in a large Quality Project.
Who we’re looking for:
- You will need a minimum of 3 STEM A-levels, HNC or equivalent at grades A-C including Maths, Science or Engineering to be eligible for this apprenticeship
- As well as a minimum of five GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 9-4 or A-C including Maths, English and Science
- You’ll need to have a team-focus with the ability to communicate and build strong relationships with people at all levels
- Have a passion about the industry
- Strong numeracy skills as well as the dedication and enthusiasm to keep the momentum going on a project.
- You will have a strong work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for your academic and vocational development.
- Pass pre-employment medical which will include a Drug & Alcohol test
- Good organizational skills with an excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work from their own initiative and able to solve problems.
- Be able to create accurate reports and supply information.
- PC literate in use of Microsoft packages and be able to use various database
Your responsibilities as Quality Apprentice will include:
· Ensuring that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all staff adhere to them
· To translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
· To manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
· To ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
· To support the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
· To ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
· To manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
· Develop an understanding of construction skills, terminology and methodology.
· Ensure all Quality Systems and processes are followed by the project team.
· Documentation – Ensure documents in use are the correct revision, accurate and revised / updated when required. Help provide documentation and create documentation when required.
· Auditing – Learn how to carry out effective audits, identify problems and potential problems regarding processes and documentation, write reports and follow up actions to closure.
· Reports – Collect information when requested, make up reports in either Excel, Word or in PowerPoint to report the information in a concise easy to understand manner.
· Problem Solving – Assist in the investigation and resolution of issues and problems. Ensure the NCR (Non-Conformance Reporting) process is followed and actions completed.
· Support the Quality Manager in all Quality related activities to improve Quality and reduce issues, defects and reworks.
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Apprentice and what’s involved in the scheme click here and you can also view the profiles of some of our current apprentices across the Group.
Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact email@example.com
Applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as early as possible as CVs will be reviewed, and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis.
Our apprentices typically start in September.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunities employer, is a Disability Confident level 2 Employer and a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Closing Date – applications are open until 26th April 2021, however we reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.