If you are studying for your GSCE’s, A-Levels, or any other types of qualification, then you are experiencing one of the most challenging parts of your adolescent life. In today’s world, exams have become a lot harder!
But it can be just as difficult to work out what pathway you should take after education…
Teachers, parents, and the media are trying to convince you that you should have your life mapped out. But all you want right now is the freedom to figure out your life’s journey in your own time. That’s why this article takes a different approach. Unlike the rest, there is one career option that your parents and teachers are not advocating.
Even though this career is right at your finger tips.
Making a career out of social media
Let me explain.
What’s the one thing you spend most of your time as a teenager doing every day? The first thing you check in the morning and the last thing you check at night? They’re your biggest love interest and the platform that you use to connect with your friends.
Yes, I am talking about social media.
Social media marketing could provide you with the foundation you need to pursue your passion in life. The world has become even more digitised due to the pandemic outbreak of 2020. The demand for social media and digital apprenticeships has increased, with companies now looking to the younger generation to scale their companies.
A younger generation that includes you!
So, let’s look at what a social media apprenticeship is:
A Social Media Apprenticeship is more than it appears
A social media apprenticeship is not about writing a couple of blogs, or posting selfies. It’s not even about getting into twitter fights with minor celebrities.
A social media apprenticeship is a proper job and a proper career path. One that could see you taking on responsibility for a company’s brand, communications, recruitment, and have a real impact on their sales and reputation.
It’s about interactions and connecting with a global audience. Social media apprenticeships are about helping a company to stand out in a competitive field and promoting their brand to a mass audience online.
You are given the responsibility of a wide range of different tasks that will benefit your prospects in the future.
Get Paid While You Learn- What Does a Social Media Apprenticeship Involve?
- Brainstorming social media content with a group of like-minded people who share the same interest as you.
- Creating website content and editing press releases, allowing you to explore your creative talent.
- Learning how the web works and why customers buy online- an important skill that will impress your future bosses as you make your way up the professional ladder.
- Learn industry led platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik-Tok, learning a great variety of platforms that will help you identify your biggest strength.
- You will gain relevant, hands-on work experience to show on your CV that is incredibly hard to achieve if you were to step out of university with just a bachelor’s degree.
- You will be given support by experienced professionals- Unlike an online course or sitting an exam paper in a dingy sports hall, you will be provided with excellent support by people who have a wealth of experience.
- No single day is the same! In the world of social media you’ll never have the same day twice.
What About a University Degree?
As you can see, a social media apprenticeship offers many benefits. But the one common hesitation people have is why they should go against the option of university?
And they’re right to question, because university provides several benefits such as.
- Exploring one subject in depth.
- Opening a broad range of career opportunities.
- Buying yourself more time to figure out your future.
And, most importantly, you get to move away from home and explore several social activities…
So it really does come down to personal preference. Are you hands-on and want to get stuck into digital marketing and social media and earn while you learn? Or would you prefer to continue down an academic path and gain more knowledge in a university environment?
The choice is up to you.
Would you like to be calling the shots at Amazon or Google?
Immersed in a growing digital culture, social media has now become a part of everyone’s life. As mentioned, there is a shortage of good social media and digital marketers.
The barrier to entry for most social media or digital marketing apprenticeships requires you to have 5 GCSE’s (including Maths and English).
There are several training providers who specialise in social media and marketing apprenticeships, and can help you get your foot in the door with a company.
Alternatively, if you choose to seek out employers directly, you could find yourself working for one of the biggest companies in the world.
Amazon offer an 18-month level 3 digital apprenticeship that is situated in London.
You must have 2 A-Levels that are C and above with English A level a priority.
Google offers a level 3 digital apprenticeship in the UK. The application process starts in November each year, with the successful candidates starting in autumn of the following year.
Your Route to Fulfilling Your Passion
So, if you are looking for an entry into the social media industry, an apprenticeship is a great place to get started. You will have the benefit of combining practical study with real-word applications, further developing your knowledge around the subject. But the best part, you will have support from experienced professionals who live and breathe the same passion as you.
For more on digital, social media, and marketing, why not check out our Marketing and Media Industry guide.
For more guides, news, jobs and advice, check out our weekly newsletter.